Thursday 8 May 2014

Mapuche

Not quite sure what I was thinking! I was mulling over  whether native troops had any influence of the Wars of Liberation. There are Indian units around but  although I can't find them in any Orbats, I am reliably  informed that the Mapuche resisted colonization by anyone for  hundreds of years. If i remember correctly, the Mapuche  provided cavalry that were fielded against Chilean forces by the royalists during the wars for Chilean Independence.



These were quite expensive by my standards. There are two companies providing Mapuche, mine are the less expensive ones from Lurkio Miniatures. I must say they are very nice and come with pre-sharpened wire spears and four bases. The Principles of War rules allow me to base them on 30 x 40 mm bases ( deeper formations for irregular cavalry) which means I can also use them for DBX 40 x 30mm LC units if I fix them facing obliquely. I just had to provide a couple of extra bases to make 2 POW units and then watch  the great film 'Hidalgo' to get an idea of Spanish Pinto colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment